Saturday, April 5, 2014

Recovery Snuggles

You know how they say cats, dogs and other animals just seem to have a sixth sense as to when someone is sick or dying? Like when my grandma entered into hospice a few years ago, the workers there told us the tale of the wild turkeys who would gather outside a persons room in droves right before the person would exit this world. Then they showed up for my grandma and soon after, she left us. Morbid, I know...but I've always believed in it. I also now, more than ever, believe that babies have some sort of sixth sense too. Maybe not as morbid of one, but just an idea that something is different or that mom or dad might need some extra loving once in a while.

Adly has always seemed to have a knack for knowing exactly when mama needs just a little more reassurance. An extra push of, "it's ok mommy, you can do it!" Back in January, when my return to work was impending and I was definitely sad about it, Adly took a moment the night before to give me her first slobbery kiss. It was just what I needed from my lovebug before I embarked on the big change.

The night before my knee surgery, I was once again on the verge of tears and so sad as I was putting her to bed for "the last time for the next 6 weeks". As I laid her down on her changing table, she took that moment to be silly and go ballistic; kicking, thrashing, and yelling non-stop like a crazy lady.  So I started imitating her acting like a wild animal. My impression was met with hilarious, gut-busting baby giggles that will melt anyones heart. It was the perfect little push to remind mommy that everything will be a-ok.

Since returning home from the hospital, a certain someone has been perfectly content playing right by my side. The afternoon and evening of the surgery, she spent the entire time snuggled up against me,  calmly sucking her thumb, and playing with her blankie. In the days following, she has been completely happy just playing with her toys next to mama on the couch. Every once in a while she raises her arms up, asking to come up on my lap for a snuggle, and then goes right back to playing next to me. It is the weirdest thing! This is coming from a formerly crazy, on the verge of crawling 8-month-old who rarely sat still. I swear she knows. She knows mama needs the extra comfort. She knows mama shouldn't be home, but she is. She knows something's different, but she wants to let me know, as always, it's OK.

An infants' snuggles seriously have amazing healing powers. I cannot wait until I can once again carry my sweet pea without any fear of my knee giving out or pain. Soon enough....



Best view in the house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis