Thursday, November 21, 2013

Regression.

Right now, we're in the midst of what is commonly known as the "4 month sleep regression phase". Yes. Regression. That is NEVER a good word when you are a parent. Nothing like climbing to the top of mount parenthood, sticking your "I'm an awesome Mom!" flag into the peak, only to have the wind immediately send you tumbling back down. 

Thankfully, this phase has not yet affected Adly at night. Yet. (Because as I sit here, feeling so bad for all my mommy friends who are up at night right now, I know that will likely be me in a week). 

But her sleep has regressed during the day for naps. I swear...control freaks have no business being parents. I spent day after day attempting to form some sort of napping schedule, mostly for my own sanity. We had some semblance of a schedule down around month three and I was feeling fantastic. But alas, that elation was short lived. In the last week, our napping schedule has all been thrown out the window. Suddenly, you know who decided she didn't want to nap anymore. She told me this by throwing tantrums anytime it came time to lay down for sleepy time during the day.

Let me tell you, a day with an infant that doesn't nap is VERY LONG. Not only because you never get a break, but a newborn who doesn't nap has a knack for becoming VERY CRANKY. And we all know how fun cranky babies are.

In order to get to the bottom of what the hell happened to my routine and scheduled life, I turned to my faithful group of mommy friends. This was via text message as I was bawling my eyes out trying to tune out the sounds of her wails from the nursery, 20 minutes in. Turns out, everyone was feeling the pain and exhausted. It was then that I learned of this sleep regression period. It happens to nearly everyone around four months.

I say nearly because there will always be that one parent and baby that says, "Oh, my little one is still sleeping fantastically! We're on schedule and I'm tra-la-la-ing all the way through the night! I feel so bad for you!" (They'll get theirs one day).

Anyways, some information that came from a mommy friend that helped me through this period is from Mannly Mama and The Sleep Lady. Both of these posts helped me to feel SO much better about what we are going through. There truly is something amazing about the feeling of, "I'm not alone in this hell." Turns out the little ones are learning and discovering so much during the day that it's hard from them to shut their brains off and take a nappy. They are more mobile now and love trying out the new skills they're learning every day. They are also changing from their newborn sleeping patterns into those of adults, and thats a heavy change for an itty bitty. So all of these things take some time for the little ones to figure out. That translates to mommies everywhere being thrown into a frenzy of, "where did I go wrong!" Only, we didn't go wrong anywhere. Growing takes a lot of work and sometimes, that growth is going to throw everything we worked so hard for out the window. But someday, somehow, it will all come back to them. And all will be right with the world again....that is, until the next change comes our way a few weeks later.


I've got big shoes to fill!

3 comments:

  1. Ugh, I know this all too well. This is why I never talk about my kid's sleep habits! Just when you think you have them figured out, it's time for teeth or a developmental milestone (i.e. right before crawling or walking, or right after when they are proud of their new skill) where they try to nix sleep! Hang in there. It is just a phase, but even 2 weeks can feel like an eternity when you're wanting routine again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Miss Adly is right on track. http://sincerelylaura.com/2013/03/14/regression/
    I resorted to the swing. I was a zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha seriously, Lauren! It's crazy how quickly things change. And Laura, I can't believe it! It's incredible how dean on some of these phases can be!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis