Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Nursery

The nursery has been a work in progress for many months. I certainly continued my wedding craziness craftiness and tried to do as many things as possible handmade. The color scheme we decided from early on would be browns and sage green. Those are colors we both like and back then thought we wouldn't know the gender. Since we rent, we weren't going to paint the walls so the color had to come from the room.

Over time though, our color scheme has changed quite a bit, especially since we found out we are having a girl. People keep asking me our color scheme, and the best way I can explain it is sage green, browns, purples, yellow and then a whole lot of other colors. We probably went a little overboard on the colors, but we love it and honestly, will she care? No. As long as she has a boob available to keep her full and loving arms to keep her warm and safe.

Any of you who know me know how I feel about my plans and having things organized. It has been agonizing for me to wait this long in order to have it finished. Of course, we're still 7 weeks out, but now I can breathe easy. We absolutely love how it turned out and cannot wait until she is here to enjoy it.

Dresser:



Once we found out she was a girl, we started looking for a pop of color to add to the room. That's when I saw inspiration at a ridiculously overpriced furniture store. They had this beautiful deep purple dresser that I loved. Thankfully my husband agreed with my vision and that is how I set about refinishing the $30 thrift store find of a dresser in dark purple. Along the way, we realized it was also the same color we had in our wedding. Fate. We purchased the adorable flower drawer pulls from World Market for a low $3.99 a piece. Love.
On top of the dresser is going to go a gasp! new TV. This was a recommendation from a few new parents we know. I know what you're thinking. A TV!?! In a nursery!?! Awful, awful parents! In fact, it's a genius idea. It will be there to entertain Adam and I through middle of the night feedings where our little dear refuses to sleep.


Rug:
Then there is the rug. Ugh. The rug. You all know about that. Not much to say other than, it's a rug. And I painstakingly made it over three months. I do, however, like how it looks in the nursery.



Crib:

The crib came from Adly's grandpa Dan. We got the crib from Target and it is the Graco Lauren style. A steal for the look and high safety ratings of the crib. So far, we've been very happy with it.



Crib Skirt:
The crib skirt was sewn by cousin Emily, who has done so much to help get this room done. (Enjoy it Em, this is the only compliment I'll give you in public). She and I painstakingly cut the fabric, sewed the ruffles and put it all together to cover up all the storage I've needed under the crib.



Changing Table:
The changing table was the start of us adding sage green to the room. Adam and I found it at a little furniture shop near our house and fell in love with it. I think it's such a unique, beautiful piece. It also has a ton of storage for goodies underneath like diapers and wipes.



Rocker/Glider:
For this, like so many other items for our nursery, we found thanks to a recommendation from our new parent friends Laura and Reggie. The rocker was something Adam wanted a big say in. It needed to be big enough for him and comfortable for both of us. Reggie highly recommended theirs and it even reclined. We thank you guys for yet another fabulous recommendation!



Door Hangers:
I purchased these green heart shaped hooks from World Market. That place is awesome. For now, they're being used as her towel holder and adorable hat holders. The hat in the middle is a knitted boob hat. Our friends Dan and Lisa betrothed that beauty onto us. Of course, I can't wait to adorn her beautiful head with it....at least long enough to take pictures to save for blackmail when she's a crazy teenager. 



Monkey:
I fell in love with this sock monkey at an antique store while Adam and I were out browsing one day. For whatever reason, I immediately pictured our future child toddling around, dragging the monkey behind it. Adam shot me down right away, saying it was a waste of money. Sure enough, two days later I came home to find the beloved sock monkey as a gift from the sweetest husband ever.



Picture Frame Wall:

This idea came from many hours of pinning on Pinterest and finding some cute, cheap frames during my adventure at IKEA. There is a map of Michigan and a map of Illinois so Adly always knows where her roots are from. I saw this idea on Martha Stewart where she had actually sewn hearts, but I'm not that talented. There is a picture of her ultrasound (the one where she's totally ready to box whoever woke her up). A wedding picture of us, flowers from the big day, and then empty frames to be filled with her beautiful face once she's here.


A-Z:


Adam painted this beauty for his baby girl. Hearing him talk about this painting brings me to tears nearly every time. He is so excited to be rocking her at night, talking about the letters of the alphabet. I hope she gets some of his artistic talents when it comes to painting. Maybe, just maybe if she's lucky, she'll even be a more organized crafter than her mom.


Side Table:



I spotted this lampshade in Emily's storage closet and immediately confiscated it. I knew it would go along with some of the many colors in the nursery. The hunt for the lamp base was not so easy. After a few botched purchases, I finally headed to good ole World Market, lampshade in hand, to find the perfect base. That's where I found this beautiful little owl. Love it. 

In addition, there's another picture frame waiting to be filled with Adly's face and an iPhone speaker for music to help when it comes time for me to have to sing nursery rhymes. I make stray cats run for cover. Finally, I added drawer pulls to Adam's side table he refuses to give up from his bachelor days. At least its girlified now. The pulls also came from World Market. 


I'm incredibly in love with the way the nursery turned out. It is so very representative of Adam and I and also so unique. There are many personal touches throughout the room to wrap Adly with love every time she enters it.

A huge THANK YOU to all of you who helped to create, purchase, shop for, and donate things to fill  her nursery and make it one of a kind. She is one very lucky and loved lady.

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE it! Can't wait to see it in person. My favorite piece of furniture is the changing table :) Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is room is beautiful! The thought and care you put into each piece is so wonderful - Adly is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited that we made you blog! I hope to see some of the boob hat photos posted here later... they will certainly be classics for the baby book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!! And yes, Lisa I will be sure to document all wearings of the boob hat and then blast them to the blog world. How could I not!?! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picture frame collage! Such a cute space :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis