Sunday, September 15, 2013

Surprise!!!

Saturday was Adam's 30th birthday. In the weeks leading up to the big day, Adam spent a good amount of time lamenting the fact that our lives have changed a whole lot. That now it's just not possible for us to go out for a night, paint the town red with our friends, and then spend the next day recuperating and eating junk food on the couch. While he's right for the most part, I knew that this birthday was definitely cause for celebration. And that was when I decided to put a little surprise plan into action.

First off, I had to find a sitter. It couldn't be friends or really even family because I knew we'd be out late. This was going to need to be our first experience with a real sitter! Thankfully, I didn't have to look too far or go with someone we didn't know. My coworkers niece is currently living with their family and nannying for their son. She was open on Saturday and excitedly offered to watch our sweet pea.

Once that was in place, I emailed all of our friends to see if anyone was even around. I mean, we've been out of the social loop for almost a year so I wasn't really even sure if people go out anymore. Thankfully, over the next week or so most people had responded saying they'd be able to make it. Phew! 

Next was messing with Adam. As his birthday week came, he began mentioning he'd like to do something with his friends. Of course, I couldn't let him think it was possible so I then told him that our babysitter had to leave by 10pm. So really, we wouldn't be able to do that much on his birthday. Oh, so sad for poor Adam. (But really, think about it. What kind of sitter would agree to a Saturday night but then say they have to leave by 10pm?!) I also kept telling him I just wasn't that into planning anything with anyone. My favorite line was, "Don't you want to spend time with just me??" 

The night of the surprise, we got ready for dinner and headed out, with Adam convinced that we'd only be at dinner for a bit then coming home right after. I had our friend Josh text him while we were on our way to dinner to suggest we meet up with him and his gf Katie for a drink. Adam scoffed and pouted about that offer, being that we had to be home by 10pm. After dinner and a lot of not so discreet whining, Adam and I hopped into a cab on our way to meet Katie and Josh for just one drink.

As we walked out onto the patio of the bar, Adam was surprised by all of our friends yelling out, "SURPRISE!!". He was completely shocked. And of course, we did not have to be home by 10pm. No, the crazy new parents that we are made it out until the wee hour of 11:15. Party!!!

For both of us, it was so much fun to be able to hang with our friends and family that we've missed so much. It was the perfect way to kick off the next decade for Adam, after such a wild ride in the final years of his 20's. Of course, I was so overwhelmed by seeing everyone and blabbing on and on about the surprise and how well it went off, I didn't take any pictures. Thankfully, my loving hubby grabbed my hand at one point and snuck us off to the photo booth where we were able to capture a few snapshots from the night.


I know our 30's are going to be the best years yet!! So much love to you, my dear husband!! I so love the beautiful life we are building together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis