Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

The day has come. I've waited 30 long years to be able to bask in the glory of recognition for all of my hard work on this one Hallmark holiday of the year. The holy grail: Mothers Day. Technically I don't feel as though I'm "totally" a mother yet...I mean I haven't actually pushed a (hopefully no larger than) 8 pound bowling ball through my legs yet and to me, that in itself is deserving of a holiday.

But since I've been receiving loving Happy Mother's Day messages all day, I'll take it. My first mother's day was quite uneventful. Sure I slept in until 7am, a real treat. But there was no breakfast in bed, no child slave cleaning my house for me, no laundry done, and worst of all, no cheesy awful gift made with scraps of material from school. What the hell?

Oh yeah....thats right. My little lovely isn't here yet. Instead, she's happily kicking away and moving about in her watery world blissfully unaware of what today is. What a life.

So instead, I spent my Mother's Day plotting for the next 18+ years of celebrating. Every year, I will ensure she remembers what I went through to get her beautiful face here and how I am owed at the very least one day to bask in my own glory, pampered from head to toe. As my friend Abby put it, my mom time really begins now. After all, I am moving all my organs and shit around for her to be comfortable. I have packed on 25+ extra pounds (so far) for her. And I have sacrificed my nightly self-medicating glass of wine for the last 30 weeks. Oh wait...I mean 22 weeks. But still.

In all seriousness, Mother's Day has taken on a whole new meaning to me since working my way into the hall of fame known as motherhood. These women sacrifice a lot and spend the rest of their lives focusing a majority of what they do everyday on others.

Therefore, they deserve at least a thank you. Maybe a glass of wine too.

Happy Mother's Day to all you mommies out there....soon to be, new, and veteran.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Soon-To-Be Mothers Day :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis