Monday, January 20, 2014

Lovely Day

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. 
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. 
-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 

I have a great appreciation for all of the many things Dr. King accomplished in his lifetime. But this year, I have to selfishly admit I couldn't be more excited to be able to stay at home one more day with my two favorite people.

To go along with the mandatory theme of relaxing all day, Adam came up with the idea to make some chicken and waffles together at home. This was a meal that I craved like a wild animal when I was pregnant. Every weekend I would make Adam look up new restaurants that served it for brunch and we would traipse all over town fulfilling my ravenous cravings. 

Since having Adly the craving has disappeared thankfully (for my waistline's sake), but it is still one of my favorite meals. For what ever reason, I had never thought of making it at home, despite how much I love to cook. But I'm so glad I did! This meal was amazeballs. I cannot even begin to explain just how good it was. I'm drooling as I write this. Therefore I had to share.

Crispy Chicken & Waffles
-2 chicken breasts
-buttermilk
-frozen waffles (or homemade if you have a waffle maker and the energy)
-corn flakes-crushed
-flour
-Franks Red Hot
-Pure maple syrup
-cinnamon
-cayenne pepper
-pepper
-salt
-onion powder
-garlic powder
(I'm bad at measuring. That's why I can't bake. I just use my eye. Sorry, there are no measurements.)

Take the breasts out of the package and stab a few knife holes in them. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? I think this helps it absorb more of the buttermilk goodness. Put the chicken breasts in a gallon ziploc baggie. Cover them with buttermilk. Sprinkle in a good amount of cayenne pepper, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Mix it up and put it in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.

In another ziploc baggie, crush up a few handfuls of corn flakes. Add a few good dashes of cayenne pepper, pepper, salt, onion and garlic powder. I added so much that when I tried the flakes after it was all mixed, I coughed, sneezed three times and had snot dripping down my face. Hey, we like it hot around here.  Place this mixture in a shallow dish. In another dish, add some flour. Take the chicken out of the baggie and put it on a plate. Pour the buttermilk marinade into yet another shallow dish of some kind.


Dust the chicken with the flour, shaking off any excess. Next dredge the chicken in the buttermilk mixture and then into the corn flake mixture. Make sure to get that crispy goodness all over the breast. Put it on a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet (or a roasting pan). Bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees, or until cooked through. Toast your waffles. Put the crispy chicken on top of the waffles. 

Here's where the magic comes in. 

Mix together some Franks Red Hot with maple syrup (about half and half) with a dash of cinnamon for a mind blowingly amazing sauce. Pour that goodness all over your chicken and waffles and enjoy!

Mmmmm. 

In between all the cooking, drooling, and eating I also got in lots of extra play time and snuggles. What an amazing extra day.

Wooooo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis