Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Shopaholic in Training

My favorite thing to do on the weekends now is to get out of the house with my little mini, just the two of us. We go shopping and run errands at least once during this time. As she's passed over the 6 month threshold, she's really gotten to be fun while we're out an about. She loves looking around, oohing and ahhing at everything she sees and talking to people that pass by.

This past weekend, after a quick trip lugging her in the car seat out of the house, I decided she's just gotten too heavy for me to lug her around in the car seat anymore. I've mentioned how I feel about change and well, this is a big one for me.

The car seat is just so easy....especially in the winter. You see, you can't put infants in a snowsuit while in the car seat. Therefore, we purchased a fantastic snuggly cover that keeps her warm in her regular clothes while we're out and about. I love this cover. But now the problem of having to take her out of the car seat while we're out is quickly approaching. She's just too heavy.

In order to help me along with this change, I spent all day on Sunday preparing a shopping trip to test out taking her out of the carseat. We received a shopping cart cover at one of our baby showers that I've kept on hand in the car, should we need it. I know, I know...I'm totally that new mom. I'm sure by the next one I'll be throwing the infant in the cart without a thought about what diseases might be all over the cart. (Sorry, future second child). But for now, for my sanity, my precious little bundle must be kept safe from all the scary things out there.

I planned the trip to a baby store to get some things for her nursery she's been needing. I dressed her in a light fleece, hat, sweatpants and socks. We pulled into the parking lot and of course as luck would have it, had to park light years away. As soon as I pulled into a spot, however, I saw a mom doing the same thing I was about to do. So I sat in my car and watched her. Total creeper. When she was done, I felt a boost of confidence as I dashed to get a freezing cold cart and began putting the cart cover on. Those things are totally not made for dummies. Why is a piece of cloth with two holes for legs in it so difficult to figure out!?! After what felt like 20 minutes of finagling the thing into place, I finally took Adly out of the car seat and put her into the cart. The cover immediately pulled off of the cart. Ugh!

Luckily she was too intrigued about being out of the car seat to notice she was freezing which gave me a few moments to mess with the cover. After some maneuvering I was able to figure it out and get her strapped in.

We then raced into the store with a gust of glory. I had done it!! We had done it! From the start Adly was completely giddy. It must be quite an experience going from being carted everywhere in your little cocoon of a carseat to being thrust out into the open among all the lights, shiny things, and people.

Anyways, we happily shopped together through the store for a good hour before she started to get bored. Oh, and that mom I stalked with my eyes in the car? Well, I stalked her inside the store too. I really have no shame these days. I ran into her (on purpose) and awkwardly confessed I had watched her use the cart cover and asked for any advice on how to set it up more seamlessly. Thankfully, instead of running away from her creepy stalker, she gave me some tips about how to use it and even showed me the loops to use to attach toys for entertainment. See? We moms need to stick together!

Mom! Stop talking to me. I'm looking at the shiny things....

I love shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis