Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Value of a Brand

I'm not into name brands when it comes to most things. I'm cheap and have no problem going for the store brand version to save a dollar or two. Clearly, I'm also not ashamed of that trait.

Enter the world of diapers. Suddenly I find myself struggling with the fact that all diapers are not created the same. I did some research before Adly was born on what kinds of diapers were the best at containing the mess. Mom's have very strong opinions when it comes to brands of diapers and I found myself a bit overwhelmed when it came to which brand was best. Thanks to some lovely friends of ours, we were given quite a few packages of diapers in varying brands when Adly was born.

From what I've read, Pampers Swaddlers seem to have a cult following that I have yet to understand. Are they good diapers? Sure. But they're expensive. I still have a hard time splurging for them. For newborn diapers, I came to love the Target Up & Up brand. They fit Adly well and we had no blowouts. The Swaddlers were definitely nice, but they have a sort of mesh covering on the inside. Perhaps those are there to help contain the mess, but it annoys me that they leave marks on her little bum. Call me picky.

In the last week or so, Adly has grown her way out of the newborn size diapers. For those of you that don't know, after this we move to size 1. Contrary to my husbands belief, diapers do not come in load sizes. We have one pack of diapers that are the off brand from CVS given to us by some friends. When I was in Michigan, I had to stock up so I went to Wal-Mart and of course, bought the off brand kind. How different can they really be?

I'm here to personally attest that when it comes to diapers, apparently name brand does matter. Or at least, certain diapers are definitely better than others. In the last three days we've had numerous blowouts. No, my sweet pea hasn't begun producing more massive amounts of poo....its the diaper. At first I found it funny.

She's going to kill me for this one day. But until then....

After numerous outfit changes in one day due to either a blowout or leakage, I had had enough. I know the picture is proof...but these were up the back, up the front, out the sides blowouts. Any which way the poo could go outside of the diaper, it went! Ick. Brand name or not, I must find a diaper that can properly contain the mess. So now I'm on the great diaper hunt for the best diaper at hopefully not the highest price. I'm starting off my search with Target's Up & Up and Pampers Swaddlers. Stay tuned for what we discover. Hopefully I can also help you new mommies avoid this trial and error process. 

Mommies, whats your favorite brand?

4 comments:

  1. I nannyed for a Mom who used to order all of her diapers from Amazon once she decided the kind she liked, supposedly they were cheaper there. Good luck finding one that works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard Amazon Mom is good! I agree..it's something I need to join once we find a keeper brand. Fun times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When they were newborns, I liked the Pampers but I always switch to Huggies soon after they grow out of newborn. I'm not a coupon-er but my mom and sisters could always find $1.50 and $2.00 off coupons. And sometimes Target would have a deal where you could buy 2 and get a $5 gift card. This is one of the things I'm brand-snobby on. Also, always make sure you run your fingers over the leg elastics before putting it on. Sometimes they stick and it makes a HUGE difference in catching the poo. Wow. I didn't even know I could be so long-winded on my diaper preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha good to know, Sarah! And thanks for the tip on the elastics....hopefully that will help as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis