Monday, August 19, 2013

It's a Snap!

When I was pregnant, I was totally that girl who "was not going to need nursing bras. What a waste of money!"

Three days after Adly made her way into the world, there I was, on the verge of passing out at the local Target, frantically trying to pick out two or three nursing bras to at least get me through the first few weeks of recovery. Why? Because I learned the hard way that if you are breastfeeding, in my opinion, you NEED nursing bras. They will make your nursing life so much easier!

Nursing bras and tank tops are different than your average bras and tops because they come with handy dandy clips that allow you to quickly unsnap that side of the bra so your little one can have a snack. This is incredibly helpful when you're in a rush or especially in public. Who wants to deal with having to pull your bra strap down enough to allow your boob to pop out?? Then you also have to deal with the cup smushing under your boob, catching milk drops. I've done it, and to me, its uncomfortable and awkward.

My favorites have actually been the plain white and plain black tank tops. These tanks have a shelf bra built into them so they double as a tank and a bra. When it comes to nursing, it's literally a snap to get your boob out. 



For night time, I'm loving these tanks by Gillian O'Malley from Target. They are so comfortable and feeding in the dark when you're exhausted takes only a quick swipe to pull the tank over. I wear these every night. They also make sleep bras that have the same idea, but you'd likely be wearing a T-shirt over it and well, that's just another thing that gets in the way while you're fumbling around half asleep in the dark. 


I also have just nursing bras. These have been handy for when I want to wear tops that are not as nursing friendly. Once I figure out whether the top has to be pulled up or a side can be pulled down my shoulder, I again only need to unsnap the bra in the front and she can eat. 

In addition to nursing tanks and bras, another "I learned the hard way so maybe you won't have to" tip is to purchase nursing pads. This is because, like it or not, your boobs will leak. And most likely, they'll leak when you least expect it. Yay! In the first few weeks of nursing, I can't tell you how many times I awoke to a bed soaked with milk and a tank top dripping wet. Gross. I personally have been using the disposable kind, but they also make washable pads. I find myself doing enough laundry already these days, so disposables are just easier for me. 

I've found nursing pads have a dual purpose, which, who doesn't love when that happens?! Nursing bras are quite thin and don't have any padding- at least mine don't. These nursing pads provide padding/coverage for when you may end up in the freezer section for too long trying to remember what it was you were supposed to buy for dinner.

They also help prevent things like, oh I don't know, public leakage from happening. This past week I went for a stroll with Adly and my friend Katie. As I was pushing sweet, beautiful Adly along the sidewalk I noticed a lot of people looking down at her and then up at me. The narrative in my head went something like "yep, she's mine...and she's gorgeous...I know, I'm so lucky!"

Then I happened to glance down at myself and that's when I noticed a huge wet circle right smack in the middle of my nip area. Dammit! I had forgotten to throw in a pad before I left on that boob. So all those lovely onlookers weren't actually looking at how beautiful my daughter is, but giving me longing looks of, "oh poor girl...her nipple is totally leaking and she has no idea!" While I'm sure that won't be the last time I forget a pad and have to bravely stroll through public making it known I'm a human cow that has the need to feed, this is why these pads are a must have. 

Here's wishing you quick snapping, dry adventures in breastfeeding! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis