Thursday, January 3, 2013

Wait, that can happen that fast!?

Today was our first day back to school after break. News of Baby B broke to the Facebook and Twitter world over break and I had a feeling it would get to the students sooner than later. So, I decided to tell them today.

With my 1st grade students, I started out by asking if they knew where they came from. I don't know why I asked that. In hindsight, I could have opened up a whole can of worms with a statement like that. Anyways, the first student I called on broke the ice with, "I came from California." Not exactly what I was expecting- but hey, I have nothing against Cali. The 2nd graders acted much more like old, wise souls. They were so excited but had more advice to give than anything else. They are also much more concerned with the baby being born in the summertime when they won't be around.

For some reason I wasn't sure they'd even know what it meant. But I forget so many of them have had new siblings recently so they're all quite familiar with "being pregnant". The reason I wanted to write this post was so I could remember these quotes. Because they are priceless. Here are a list of the spattering of questions and comments I got in a matter of 5 minutes:

-Wait, a baby can happen that fast after you get married!?!? (my personal favorite)
-How did the baby happen?
-I always know when people are pregnant. I knew you were pregnant! I knew it!
-I've predicted (the sex) of five babies and they've all been right. They were all girls. Yours is a girl.
-Can we watch the baby be born?
-Can we name your baby?
-When my mom was pregnant....wait. I don't think thats ok to share at school....
-(after looking at ultrasound pic) THAT is in you right now?!!?
-My mom is a lactation consultant. You HAVE to talk to her...like today. She'll give you her card.
-Yeah, your belly does look like you just ate a lot of food. I noticed it.

Just some of the million reasons why I love my job.

2 comments:

  1. OMG these are hilarious!

    So cool to see your ever growing baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Lauren!! Glad you're enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis