Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Month One

I apologize for lacking in posting. Adjusting to motherhood has been much different than I expected. Sometimes overwhelming, sometimes emotional, and many times...I'm just not sure where the time goes!

After a whirlwind week of travel, Adly and I rejoined daddy last night in Chicago. It's good to be home. While we were be-bopping all over the midwest, Adly's one month birthday passed us. I can't believe it. One month. It scares me how fast time is flying. She already looks so much bigger than she was. She's already changing in so many ways.


At one month, Adly is recognizing faces and voices, especially mine and Adams. She can follow me across a room or pick me out of a few faces. I just love that feeling.

Slowly but surely, her smiles are starting to emerge. They have yet to be social smiles, but are still adorable nonetheless. I cannot WAIT until I have the satisfaction of my infant smiling at how funny I am. She also loves to make faces. She is so expressive!

Adly loooooves music. Raffi is an artist who sings for kids. I've used him in my classroom before, but she seems really taken by his songs. I have to admit, I don't mind a little "Day-O" myself.

While we were home, grandpa Dan bought Adly a Dr. Suess book aptly named "One fish, two fish". I'm sure you all read it as a child. My dad loves to fish and is already bequeathing his love for it onto his granddaughter. Anyways, I picked it up and read it to her while we were doing her bedtime routine feeding when we were home in MI. Her eyes widened and she stared at me intently, listening to the sounds of my voice as I read the book. Her reaction gave me goosebumps and of course made me cry.

Our little girl is growing like a weed. She's outgrown all newborn clothes and diapers and has now moved on to 0-3 months/3 months. Her little leg rolls are an indication of her healthy eating. And of course are the cutest thing ever.

I introduced a paci successfully in week 4, after several unsuccessful attempts over her first month. She came out of my belly sucking her thumb. The doctors and nurses were in awe and so happy she already had the self soothing instinct. I'll admit, I was not a fan. Being a teacher, I've seen students who are in school and still unable to kick the thumb habit. Our pediatrician reassured us that thumb sucking is great because the child always has their thumb--and most kids stop by their toddler years. Well our sweet pea just couldn't manage to get her thumb into her mouth when she was most upset. You see, she likes to make these aggressive fists at that time, thereby burying her thumb. And when that thumb can't come out, she can't self soothe.

Bound and determined as I was to give my nipples a break from all that sucking, I just had to find a pacifier that worked. It's a detriment of my controlling personality. For Miss Adly, the Soothie pacifier was finally the ticket. It has been a great helper for getting more sleep at night as well as calming her down during the day when she thinks she's hungry every hour on the hour. Sometimes a girl just needs her paci to suck.

The world's smartest 1 month old also holds in her paci. 

Speaking of sleep, it's a work in progress for us so far. Some nights, I get a solid 5-6 hour chunk. Other nights it's more like 2 hour increments. I'm not going to lie...it's been the hardest thing for me. I don't function well without sleep and on those rough nights, very rough days have followed. But we're working on it.

Overall, life is starting to slowly normalize at the end of month one. It was wonderful spending time with both sides of our family, getting advice, and a break for a bit this month. Now we head into month two where the little miss will begin cooing with vowel sounds, smiling socially, and attempting to imitate faces we make to her. I just love watching her grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis