Thursday, October 10, 2013

3 Months...


As Adly turns 3 months old, I'm noticing a lot of changes. This has me really excited for what's ahead in the next month. 

-She is discovering the sense of touch. This is a really neat progression to watch. I notice her touching everything on me, my shoulder, tank top straps, my nose, my mouth, and then her blankets and clothes...anything that is up close to her. She feels it or holds on to it, sometimes staring at her hands as she does so. It's almost as though you can see the connections happening in her brain that what her hand is touching is what she feels. 

-Her hands are getting stronger at grabbing objects. She is particularly interested in a light up rattle at this point. She can hold on to the rattle, shake it around a bit, and just the other day she put it in her mouth. Funny, soon enough I'm sure I'm going to be freaking out over her putting everything in her mouth. But to see it happen for the first time with an object was so cool!

-As we work hard on tummy time, she's able to push herself across her play gym mat when I put my hands under her feet to give her something to push off of. It's incredible to see the amount of effort and strength it takes for a baby to move themselves. She still doesn't love being on her tummy, but seems to be learning to deal with it for short periods of time. 

-She coo's and talks all the time. In the last week she's begun making sounds starting with "g-g-g". Maybe the start of some "goo-goo, ga-ga"? 

-She continues to sleep through the night, although this relies heavily on her napping properly during the day. Not enough naps=overtired baby who wakes up every hour at night. Speaking of naps, right now she's taking four 1-hour naps a day. I haven't figured out how to move those to two longer naps a day. I'm open to suggestions!

-The battle of the swaddle continues on. I'm not sure how to deal with the fact that she wants to suck her thumb at night. Usually this results in her arms getting loose and then her being kept up all night. However last night, after I was awakened at 2:30am, I went in and let her arm loose so she could suck her thumb. She calmed herself down right after and slept through the rest of the night. The rigid me is scared of the upcoming change of letting the swaddle go (nooo! I just caught up on all the sleep I was missing!). But the rational me can see that the swaddle just isn't going to last much longer. Fingers crossed for us!

-She is now a full blown thumb sucker. I'm actually relieved to have this finally happen as she is learning to use it as a self-soothing tool. For so long when she was upset she'd attempt to find her thumb by shoving her whole fist in her mouth. That just ended up upsetting her even more and would sometimes make her gag. Now she's usually able to find her little thumb and get it into her mouth in order to calm down.

-Her smiles continue to flow and make me giggle like a child every time. She is so happy at times. Every so often she'll smile so hard she attempts to giggle, but hasn't quite gotten there yet. 

1 comment:

  1. So cool that she's sucking her thumb already - so much easier than worrying about pacifiers! She's one smart cookie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis