Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Oh Tummy Time

So, when I had a baby I thought that tummy time was instrumental in helping babies learn to crawl. And of course my daughter is going to be the best, smartest, and earliest one to do everything. Right?!? Soon after we arrived home I began placing her on her stomach every so often. She immediately seemed to want to move.

Wow. She's already the best, smartest, and certainly going to be the earliest crawler, I thought! So I encouraged her by placing my hands under her feet and helping her to launch off of them. I laughed at my poor husband when he'd put her on her tummy and just let her lay there. "Pssshhh! That's not tummy time!" I'd say and feel content knowing I knew what was best for our smartest, best, earliest daughter. She wasn't to just lay there. No, we needed to get her moving

On top of all this, she hated it. Tummy time became a thing that I dreaded because I knew she'd cry the entire time. That always stressed me out so naturally, I implemented avoidance. What that created was a newborn who was not used to being on her tummy and began to hate it even more whenever it did happen. 

It wasn't until about a week ago that I watched a video on tummy time for babies at age 3-4 months, the age of my munchkin. I couldn't wait to see how she measured up. I know, I'm that mom. But when I saw the video I freaked out. I was all wrong on how I'd been pushing tummy time. The babies on there had no problem lifting their heads up off the ground and looking around. My little pumpkin wasn't even attempting to lift her head at this point. And then I was all like, "Oooooohhhhh. Oh wait, so THAT'S what tummy time looks like!" Turns out, my husband hadn't been that off. But we won't tell him that. 

In my quest to push my sweet pea to be the best, earliest, smartest, I had actually stunted an integral part of her growth process. So since watching that video, I've pulled out my whistle and gym shorts to integrate tummy time boot camp into our lives. Adly now spends every waking moment of her life on her tummy. "And lift 1,2,3..." 

In all seriousness, it was just one of the millions of learning curves we're going to be thrown as new parents. Now we that know the purpose of tummy time, we are working hard with her....not to make her the best, smartest, earliest anything. But to help make her just right for Adly.

I'll do anything for a glimpse of my beautiful face..including lifting my head. (Vanity in its purest form.)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis