Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Seriously?

So, this rug. This amazing, brilliant, idea I had for a handmade rug.

I scoffed at paying a lot of money for a new rug in the nursery. Why would I pay so much when I could make one for half the price!!? Me, the queen of craftiness. Have we met?

Me, who is also the queen of doing everything the hard way first. And I mean everything.

I've spent the last two months working arduously on this rug after school and on weekends. My hands have bled (unfortunately I'm not kidding) and my fingers have hurt. All the while, my little lady in my belly has been cheering me along with kicks and punches. Maybe even a little "you can do it mom!" once in a while.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to quit the damn thing, but I am far too stubborn to quit always like to finish what I start. Then two weeks ago, I ran out of fabric. It took some convincing from my husband to keep going on it. So I reordered more fabric, determined to finish even though with each passing week, the final size of the rug in my head was getting smaller and smaller.

When I first tried to order the fabric, one of the colors I had previously ordered wouldn't come up. Then when I tried again the next day, it did. I received the fabric a few days later and last week, took an evening to cut up all the little strips again.

Over the last week I've pushed myself to continue working on it, slowly but surely until tonight happened. Tonight, I actually stepped back and looked at the rug. And lo and behold, the color I had originally tried to order that didn't show up was not the right one. It is off by a word.

The original color I ordered was "Light Heather Grey Oatmeal". In the second order, I ordered a fabric called "Light Heather Grey".

Sigh.
On the bottom, in the corners are where the new, crisp heather grey has creeped its way in.

I would totally love to take this opportunity to blame it all on pregnancy brain, but its not that. I'm just an idiot sometimes and this is a classic example. So tonight, after looking online for an hour for a new rug to just buy, I reordered the correct color. Because I just can't quit the rug. It's become a labor of love. And some hate. And because, come hell or high water, this rug is going to be finished before the baby arrives. And it WILL be perfect. And once she's here, all of the curse words I've thrown out at it will float away into some other land and I'll slowly begin to make happy memories with the rug. But until then.....

3 comments:

  1. If you need to borrow my rotary cutter, mat & ruler just let me know! I'd also be happy to help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be a good story to tell in the end! Just make sure nothing spills on it...maybe you should just hang it on the wall...

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis