Sunday, March 17, 2013

top o' the mornin'

Yesterday was Chicago's St. Patricks Day. I say "Chicago's" because the city celebrates it the Saturday before St. Pat's day every year. It is close to New Years in size of celebration and brings thousands of people into the city for the weekend.

In the past 7 years of living here for this holiday, I've enjoyed many celebrations for this holiday, all involving copious amounts of green beer. I've done the bar thing, the party thing, and for the last three years, the trolley thing. After years of spending our time crowded into overly packed bars spending way too much money, a group of my friends and I got wise and rented a trolley. Geniuses we are, we discovered we could have a party at someones house to start the day off bright and early. Then jump on a trolley filled with booze and ride around the city like crazed green leprechauns for three hours and have the best time ever.

This year, however, things have obviously changed for me. Not that I have a problem not drinking. I'm fine with that for the most part. What sucks is being around every other drunken idiot that I usually am, while sober. Honestly, I was dreading St. Patricks Day. Not only is it my favorite holiday, its my husband's too. My husband that doesn't have precious cargo in his belly. Being the great man he is, he vowed to stick with me for the day and be low key. But, being the outgoing people that we are, sitting inside all day just wouldn't do either.

So with that, we decided to head to our friend Nicole's for the traditional "pre-trolley" party. Because every party needs a pre-party. I knew that before the trolley, stories would be less likely to be repeated over and over again to me and no one would spill beer on me. I'm so glad we went. We got to see some friends we haven't seen in a while and I got to eat a bunch of food. Adam also got to get some of his "party time" out.
 Belly rubs from auntie Jamee


Belly shot with the baby daddy


After the pre-trolley party, Adam and I walked back to our place to rest up for a bit. Yes, all that crazy partying I did was kind of exhausting. Adam had borrowed a carry on suitcase from Nicole for our trip to Phoenix on Thursday, so this is what I got to walk home with. I laughed the entire way. 

Oh hey, anyone need a beer? I got a suitcase full.

Then it was time for my kind of party to start. Let me tell you, shit got crazy over here. I gathered all the ingredients for my homemade healthy shamrock shake and started blending away. I even threw in a hunk of dark chocolate to make it extra dirty. OMG. Heaven in my mouth. The recipe comes from the blog Gina's Skinnytaste. Check it out if you ever have a hankering for a healthier shammy shake. 

My terrible photo doesn't do it justice. It also has avocado in it. Yum!

To top our day off, cousin Emily stopped by to head out to dinner. We walked down the street to stuff our faces with burgers. 
This was the 10th shot. The camerawoman loved taking these. 

Yes, things have changed. But in most ways, they're for the better. I've lived those crazy days of St. Pat's and I'm sure I will again some other time in the future. But for now, I'm fine with my excitement revolving around shakes and kicks from my little peanut inside me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis