Thursday, June 27, 2013

37 wks 3 days Update

Today I had my first "weekly" checkup with the doctor. After 36 weeks, you go from bi-weekly to weekly appointments. And when you make it to this point, the doctor goes in to check the engine and see if there's been any progress. I was so looking forward to this appointment. Has there been any movement? Is she sitting pretty? Is she head down? Is there really a baby in there??

Thankfully, a friend told me beforehand that when they check you at this appointment, they basically fist you. Therefore I wasn't shocked when with my legs spread wide, she leaned in and put all her might into getting her hand up there. 

Her findings were that I am at 2cm dilated and about 50% effaced. What the hell does that mean? Well, she could basically get a finger and a thumb up there and in that process was able to touch Adly's head. My cervix is now 50% thinner than it was throughout the rest of the pregnancy. 

People. This means things are moving. My doctor then gleefully mentioned that knowing how I like to plan, at my next appointment she could "scrape my membrane". WHY have they not come up with more lady friendly terms for such things? Oh yes, could you please go down there and scrape away? Sounds like a day at the spa. 

My understanding is that this process can help "get things started" in the way of labor. My next appointment is July 8th and to be honest, I'm not ready. Additionally, I don't need to mess with nature. Talk to me when I'm a week overdue and can't walk. Then I'll consider some scraping. 

Honestly, the fact that I've started dilating on my own is enough to tide me over for the next few weeks. I can't tell you how big of a reality check it was hearing that this thing you've been preparing months for could realistically happen any day. So for now, I'm stopping complaining about the heartburn, her rump in my ribs, and the never ending swollen feet and legs. I'm perfectly content letting her cook a few weeks more. 

Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis