Friday, June 28, 2013

What's in Your Bag?

As you progress into the home stretch of your pregnancy, you'll start to read and hear a lot about packing your hospital bag. This has become big business for some people. I've even seen "pre-packed hospital bags" in those kitschy little specialty mommy stores. I've read posts about girls who had their bags packed weeks ago...like in the 2nd trimester. Hey, you never know, right?

I myself am a bit thick headed. Obviously judging from the fact that I saw nothing wrong with taking a 5.5 hour drive by myself at 36 weeks, I don't really think I'm that pregnant. The hospital bag to me, has been nothing but an obnoxious pain in the ass. Therefore, I've just avoided it. Of course once again, it took my doctor telling me in slow-mo: you could have this baby at anytime. Pack a bag. Before I decided I should take a stab at it.

My procrastination comes from the fact that it's very overwhelming to me. Why? Everywhere you look, you can find lists telling you to pack items that range from 10 things you must have to 50 things. If all goes well, I'll only be in the hospital for 2 days. Seriously? 50 things?! Not to mention I live 10 minutes from the hospital. Adam can get me anything I forget. Can't he? Then I go into the panic mode of: "No, he won't know where it is, I'll have to remember and then what if I forget where I put it last? I must bring it."

After yesterday's talk with my doctor, I attempted to settle this conundrum by packing a bag based off of a few different lists that I felt fit me best. So to help any of you future preggo's, I thought I'd put it on here. Hopefully the process isn't nearly as overwhelming for you as it was for me.

My Hospital Bag:

-Robe, cotton pajama/nightie thingy, slippers: my lovely mother in law got these items for me at my baby shower. I've read some women use them, others don't. I'm bringing just in case. Slippers, however, have been recommended by quite a few people. It can be chilly and you are forced to prove you can walk after that bowling ball comes shooting out of your legs.

-Baby Book: this surprised me. Honestly up until this Tuesday, we hadn't even purchased one. But apparently in the hospital they will put your wee one's footprints in the book for you. How precious and they'll never be that tiny again.

-Granny Panties: Now purchasing this item was fun. Standing at Target in front of the wall of Hanes cotton virginity panties, I found myself utterly clueless. First of all, grown up panties don't come in wrapped packs of 5. And what the hell size am I now that I've put on a bunch of weight? Once I decided on a size, I could've cared less about what they looked like. This is because apparently after birth your body has to get rid of a lot of things...for up to 6 weeks. So in addition to the large and in charge pads you get to wear, you definitely don't want to ruin any of your pretty underthings you've gathered in your adult years. I've heard some hospitals supply you with large, lovely panties, so I'm bringing a few pairs of these as a backup just in case.

-Conditioner and Baby Lotion: I've heard from multiple sources there is no conditioner in the showers and lotion can come at an extra expense. Therefore, I'm heeding their advice and packing just in case.

-Normal Toiletries: In addition, I always need contact solution/case, face wash, toothbrush/paste and I'll throw my make up bag in last minute if I remember.

-Hairband/hairties: I don't want any of that business in my face while I'm huffing and puffing.

-Nursing Bra/Nursing Bra Tank: Target offers really reasonably priced nursing wear. Therefore, I'm bringing my bra and tank I purchased. Who knows if I'll need them nor what size I'll be. Let's hope I guessed right.

-Going Home Outfit (Me): The bottoms were easy. Stretchy maternity leggings. Whether I end up succeeding with a vaginal birth or having a c-section, I'm hoping these will keep whatever is leftover of my belly in place. The top was harder. I've embraced my bump for most of my pregnancy so I don't have much of anything that's loose fitting. And, let's be honest, at this point in the game, I'm stretching out anything and everything I put on. So in the end, I went with a larger oversized, long t-shirt. Oh and shoes! Almost forgot shoes. That would help, right?!

-Going Home Outfit (Adly): This has me stumped. I don't know how big she's going to be, how hot it's going to be nor what she'll fit into comfortably. So for our darling princess, I packed 4 outfits. Thankfully her clothes are small. She has a newborn short sleeved onesie, a long sleeved newborn onesie, and a short-sleeved/long-sleeved 0-3 month onesies. One of those has GOT to fit her. If not we'll just diaper her up and throw in her in the carseat. I kid, I kid.

-Swaddle blanket: This was my own idea. Maybe we'll use it, maybe we won't. But we'll have it if we need it.

-Receiving blanket: Same as the swaddle. Will we or won't we? Who knows.

-Pacifier: Just in case.

I'm sure I've forgotten something. I'm sure I won't use all of these things. Some lists recommend you bring massage oils, candles, a picture frame of you and your hubby to focus on, videos, etc. But I myself won't need that crap. No, I'm just going to focus on getting the baby out and in my arms. Perhaps there may be some screaming, definitely some swearing, and maybe a little "I HATE THAT YOU DID THIS TO ME!!!" And if you ask me, a candle and massage oils aren't going to make that any better.

I'll be sure to update afterwards and give the low down on what was unnecessary and what I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis