Tuesday, July 9, 2013

letdown

Yesterday I had my weekly checkup with the doc. Sunday night I had a sleepless night as I began having some painful contractions, lower back pain and if I'm honest, loose bowels. All of which are signs of labor in progress. I was so glad I was going in to the doc's that morning so she could reassure me of what was going on and that I was actually contracting.

Well, reassure me she did. She checked for dilation and I had increased from 2cm to 3cm in the last week, which I thought was HUGE. Based on all the things going on, she informed me I was definitely in "early labor".

Wooooooooo-hooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Was my reaction. THIS IS IT.

She was concerned about my increased blood pressure, so throughout the appointment she had it taken 3 times. She then told me she was on duty in the ER the next day and she thought for sure she'd be able to deliver me then. She wanted me to go into triage at the hospital right away though, to rest and get the BP down. I asked if I could go home, relax, and count contractions. She agreed with that plan because she was convinced I'd progress and end up in triage that night  or the next morning for delivery.

So with that knowledge, Adam and I both jumped on our phones and got the families all riled up. My dear Michigan family jumped in their cars as soon as work let out and headed down. By 7pm, Adam and I went into triage with me having contractions every 6-8 mins and high blood pressure. I was convinced that due to the high BP, even if the contractions weren't close enough, they'd induce.

This is it. We both thought. And we were SO excited.

Well, turns out my blood pressure was fine by then. The contractions just weren't close enough. And when they checked me I was still dilated to 3cm. Therefore, I was given the option to "wait it out" in the ER or head home. To me, waiting it out in the hospital really means "you're taking up precious bed space, so we're going to c-section you." So we decided to head home.

Let me tell you, it was more depressing than I could've imagined to leave the hospital with no baby girl. As of Monday morning, I hadn't even begun to process the idea that Adly could be joining us in a day or two. But by Monday evening I had pumped myself and everyone else up to believe that it was happening and it was happening now.

But it wasn't. So Monday night, I finally slept for 6 hours and then woke up this morning with no contractions. None. Nada. WTF!?!?

So I put on my exercise gear and decided I was going to walk this baby out of me today. I mean, my whole family is here...everyone is on standby. This HAS to happen and fast. So I walked. And walked. Throughout today, the contractions have definitely increased in their painfulness. However, they are still sporadic and still frustrating the hell out of me.

I read so much about first time preggo's being admitted to the ER, only to be turned away hours later to go home and contract. I was convinced that would never be me. I'm far too anal about such things to mess up in that way. But let me tell you, the power of thinking you are going to meet your precious bundle any minute is unbelievably overwhelming. The enthusiasm of my doctor alone was enough to make me want to head in right away. Of course, they don't know for sure it's going to happen right then and there (this being said without your water breaking or without them needing to induce). They can guess...but no one knows for sure when it's going to happen.

So here is what I have learned in the last 24 hours about the stages of labor:

-Early Labor: Dilated 0-3cm, contractions are 5-20 minutes apart, can last for 12 hours or longer (for days or weeks).
-Active Labor: Dilation from 4-7cm, contractions are 3-4 minutes apart. This is when you head to the hospital.
-Transition to Labor: Dilation 7-10cm, baby heads down birth canal.
-Labor: This is when you push and life's greatest gift is your reward for all this pain.

**If your water breaks, all bets are off on the "stages of labor" and you head in immediately to be induced as the baby is then open to infection. Problem is, only about 8-10% of mommies break their water naturally. Crazy, huh?

So for now, we wait. And contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis