Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Quite the Contraption

I tell you what has scared me the last few months: putting in the car seat. Of all things, why this? Well, there's a lot riding on it...no pun intended. Not to mention, you have to read your car manual, and the car seat manual, both of which have a lot of pictures and instructions that are overwhelming. Therefore, this has been something I've been putting off for weeks.

When my dad and Anita came into town last weekend, I took that as the perfect opportunity to get some help putting in the carseat. You see, I knew putting in the car seat was probably an activity that wouldn't be great for Adam and I. Better to avoid the arguments over who is right at this point in the game. So with both manuals out, my dad and I set about trying to tackle the car seat. After reading, re-reading, trying some pretty interesting set ups, and being very confused, we finally secured the car seat in the center position in the backseat. Or so we thought.

Once you get your car seat in, it is highly recommended you get the car seat inspected. This is due to the fact that 80% of people put the seats in incorrectly. Pretty scary statistic isn't it? So I then set about trying to secure an appointment with one of the local police stations who have trained officers. I have to say, I'm disappointed in the CPD. I called three stations near our house three times and still have yet to receive a response. Thankfully, a coworker of mine had recommended I go to a suburban police department where she had hers done. So I called there and received a response within a day from a woman named Judy, a hilarious, no-nonsense veteran cop who really knows her stuff when it comes to car seats. Judy informed me they only do village residents for safety checks, but then gruffly asked if I could make it the next day at 8:30am. "Yes ma'am" was my response.

I pulled into the station and Judy opened the door, letting out a long whistle. "Yep. I've seen some real contraptions in my day....but this setup. This definitely takes the cake."

Uhhh.....turns out dad and I had it ALL wrong. In every way possible. I am so thankful we got it checked out. I learned from Judy that certain members at specific stations are required to go to "school" once a week every year for education on car seat safety. That is how they are qualified to know the seat is secured and safe in every way. It is such a reassuring feeling knowing that our daughter will be safe and sound now in the car.

Here are the important things I learned from Judy about car seat installation and safety:

-The car seat is best place behind the passenger seat. The back of the passenger seat can NOT touch the car seat. If it is touching in the crash, it will stabilize the car seat and the child will take on the brunt of the impact. (We had it in the center seat. I will say this was the recommendation of the car seat manual. Judy said to only follow your car's manual for placement).

- The LATCH safety straps can only be extended less than 11" on each side. (My dad and I had them set up across each side seat...over 14". Oops.)

-The LATCH straps are all that are needed to hold in the seat until the child is 40lbs. (We also had the seat belt over the car seat).

-The base of the car seat should NOT move side to side. "It should be one with the car"-Judy. However, it should be able to rock front to back. This is so that in the event of a car crash, the car seat will absorb the impact and the baby will not.

-Once baby is in the car seat, there should only be a fingers' space between the baby and the seat straps. In the winter, the straps need to be as close to baby as possible. Blankets over top are ok, but not underneath the straps.

Hopefully this will help any of you installing car seats in the near future to not look like such an idiot when you arrive at the safety check. I had no clue about any of these checklist items and it's terrifying to know that she could've come and we clearly weren't prepared to get her home safely. Now we are! Just another tick off the checklist....

1 comment:

  1. They should have taken a picture of you and framed it: "Takes the Cake" ;)

    I also believe fire departments do the testing as well. At least that what I over heard someone saying they did.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis