Friday, January 18, 2013

Where People Go to Die...

This Thursday, I took a "sick day". You see, I don't call in sick. I just can't. I'm far to anal. I dread the day I actually am on my death bed and I do have to call in. I fear a lot of things, but mainly not getting a good sub (or any sub for that matter) and not being able to create lesson plans. I have to plan to be sick. I know I'm crazy in the head and I'm sure all of that will change when there's a wee one dictating my every move.

So for this sick day, I actually was exhausted and just needed a break. Wednesday was an extremely long day and I knew I was going to be whipped. Then I got home and slept for 3 hours, so I decided to call in for the next day. When Thursday rolled around, I felt I had to do something productive since I wasn't actually "sick". That led me to attempting to head to the Social Security Administration offices. Why, you might ask? Well, I got married in October. Four months ago, actually. And I still hadn't changed my name. First it was because of the honeymoon. Well, we all know how that ended. Then it was because....well no excuse other than I'm lazy. But a little Baby Bway made its entrance into our lives. And since I know it just wouldn't fly to have Baby B with my maiden name, I decided it was time to make the switch...legally....forever. Lets be honest, had I not gotten knocked up so soon, it probably would've taken me another year, but thats besides the point.

Since A's part of the reason for the name change, I dragged him along with me. We headed over to the SSA in the city. Woah. Talk about knocking at deaths door. We walked in only to see a line to sign in before the line to wait. It was packed. Packed wall to wall with old and I'm sorry, very smelly people. We both looked at each other and decided to bolt.

Next we headed to the burbs to try out there. Certainly it HAD to be better. Out in the burbs it was a little better....a little. It was still packed. Honestly, what do these people do?!? I pulled a number and here it was:

We wearily looked up to see they were on E500. Not too bad, I guess...we were only 15 people away. Well, they don't just call the E group. They call about 5 other groups too....G, H, B, etc. This is what we got to stare at for an hour:

To make the wait real interesting and perfect for people watching. I even got to hear the manly security guard woman yell, "Put it down mother f**ker!!" in the bathroom. From what I could gather, someone next to her in the stall had touched something of hers. They came out laughing. Then there was the couple who couldn't have been any older than 18 who maybe just got married. The girl had to leave at one point to go shoot up in her car...must've been too long of a wait and the drugs wore off. She came back in high as a kite.
After waiting about 50 minutes, our number was finally called (one woman before us waited 2 hours, so I guess we were in luck). And within 10 minutes my name was officially changed. Just like that! We then bolted out to hurry to the closest lunch spot for macaroni and cheese which I was craving at the moment. Of course, when we got to the restaurant I didn't order mac and cheese. I'm allowed to change my mind, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis