Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Dresser Fit for a Princess

With the weather finally turning spring-like, I had to take advantage of it and make a final push to get the dresser finished for the nursery.

A few weeks back, Emily and I got the drawers painted. Since then, the weather turned back towards winter so that out a kibosh on finishing it off. This weekend, she agreed to come back over and tackle painting the main part of the dresser. The weather outlook was gloriously sunny and warm so it was perfect timing.

We spent the majority of Saturday afternoon priming and painting layer after layer on the side and top of the dresser. Here is the one snapshot I remembered to take as we went:

Primed and ready for layer one of paint. 

The annoying thing about this dresser is that its very well made. Very sturdy. But also very heavy. Therefore I've been banned from lifting the thing in any way, which makes for a very frustrated preggo who can't ever sit still. Once Emily left, I got a call from Adam saying it was supposed to rain that night. 

WHAT!?!?! No. The weather channel said no rain all weekend. Thats why I chose this weekend. Of course, I ran inside to check the weather and sure enough, as usual, the weather channel lied. So very frustrating. 

Thankfully it wasn't coming until the middle of the night so I could wait to drag it to cover until husband came home. So when Adam arrived, we moved the dresser under some tarp our landlord has on the porch. I figured it would do, at best. At the very least it would keep it dry. 

Then I went outside to check it the next morning. Ground was wet...humidity was high. Ohhhh no was all I could think. As I peeked under the tarp, this is what I saw. 

Major sad face. Why, water?!? Whhhyyyyy!?!

This is the top of the dresser. I'm guessing buildup of rain soaked into the paint, as the sides are fine. So I started off this day, bright and early with sandpaper in hand to re-do the top of the dresser.  

Primer times two.

Thankfully, the weather cleared up in the afternoon, so I was able to spend the rest of the day finishing the layers of paint and sealer for the entire dresser. Now the dresser is completely painted and ready to be filled with pretty little outfits for Ms. Adly. Pictures of the finished product to come soon.

The last step I have for the dresser is to add knobs to each drawer. But that will be left for another day when I'm feeling like nesting and running around like crazy all day working on projects.

Here are a list of things this nesting mother-to-be accomplished this weekend:
-Paint Dresser
-Purchase and hang bookshelves in nursery (involving manhandling IKEA)
-Organize picture frames for collage on wall of nursery
-Purchase and hang darkening curtains/curtain rods in the master bedroom
-Rearrange master bedroom
-Cut and iron fabric for crib ruffle skirt

Phew...and with that, I received a stern talking to by my dear husband that I need to start acting like I'm 29 weeks pregnant and take it easy. So now I'm going to kick my feet up and relax. After I get all my other projects done, of course.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis