Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Breast is Best!

We recently had our second prenatal education class, called Breastfeeding 101. I wanted to take the class because I have no prior experience in acting as a human cow and not a clue what I need to do in order to make that happen.

The class was truly very interesting. We watched a video of this baby who was brand new. The doctors put her on her mom's belly and she crawled her up to the boob and started sucking- all on her own. It was incredible to see. I took a lot of notes because as always my dear husband remembered 95% more than I did after taking the class. We also got to hold a newborn doll and slap it up against my boobs to "feel" how to hold the baby when feeding. I know they try to make it as real as possible, but these dolls just don't do it for me. All in all, we did learn some great things, but something tells me that will all go out the window once she's here. At least I'll have notes to refer to when I'm in a panic at home, no one is around and I've got a screaming newborn and milk squirting out of my nips. Good visual, eh? 

Even though my attention span got the best of me, I walked away with one great piece of learning. It was a quote from the lactation consultant teacher, who is going to retire any day now and was hilarious. 

"One of the best benefits of breast milk is that it comes in the hottest designer bottles you can find out there."

Got milk?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis