Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Learning Curve

The other day, I thought I had my first experience of something lovingly known as Braxton Hicks. These are the "trial" contractions that happen before birth. They can begin in the 2nd trimester and last through birth or you may never experience them at all. As everything in pregnancy goes, it just depends on the person/pregnancy.

My first episode went like this: I felt good, was sitting on the couch relaxing when my stomach started cramping up. It hurt pretty bad and then I started to feel sick, so I laid down. I then proceeded to pass out for an hour or so. When I woke up, I felt fine. My first thought was, if that was like a contraction and I can just sleep through it, than I'm all for this labor thing! If only it would be so easy.

Yesterday, they came back with a vengeance after lunch and with such ferociousness, all I wanted to do was stop teaching and curl up in a ball on our classroom couch. When I had a moment, I quickly googled Braxton Hicks to learn more about them since I don't know squat. Turns out, being dehydrated can definitely make them more painful and that was when I noticed my half-full bottle of water. Oops. So that must be it, I thought. 

After talking to a teacher friend who has actually been through this pregnancy rodeo, she suggested I call the doc just to check in, since the pain sounded a little too harsh to be Braxton Hicks. After talking to the nurse and reviewing my last day and a half, turns out this was not Braxton Hicks contractions. No, instead it was most likely cramping due to dehydration.

I started out this journey dedicated to drinking at least 32oz of water at school and trying for another 32oz at home in the evenings. Well, it is quite difficult to keep up with that level of drinking and peeing when you have 41 students you are catering to all day. So I'll admit I've kind of fallen off that wagon in recent weeks. And now with the warmer weather, it was not a good combination. I was instructed to immediately fuel up with loads of water and Gatorade and to continue a regimented schedule of downing water non-stop until birth.

So there you have it, a major amateur move on my part. Luckily, since I've stepped up the liquids in the last day, the cramping has gone away. It's amazing how quickly you can be reminded you are responsible for the care of another human being- even if she's not here yet, and every one of my actions effect her directly.

On another note, thank goodness I won't have to deal with that painful business for the next two months. I can't even explain the gripping moment of fear I had as it was happening thinking, "I can't do this. I can't go through labor. It hurts too bad. I WANT OUT!!"

Good thing I have two more months to work on psyching myself up for the biggest (most painful) event of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis