Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Say it isn't So....

A few weeks back, I went and had the standard glucose test you take when you're in the 2nd trimester. This is the test you take to check to ensure you do not have gestational diabetes.  You go to the lab, they give you a sugary, gatorade-like drink that you have to chug in 5 minutes. Lots of women complain about this drink. I, myself, didn't find it to be all that bad and I'm not a person who likes sugary drinks. It just tasted like an extra sugary Powerade. Ick- yes, but not the end of the world.

They test pregnant women for gestational diabetes because a small percentage of women do in fact develop diabetes as a result of being pregnant. If a woman has gestational diabetes, it almost always leaves once the child is born. But if it is not addressed while the wee one is in the womb, than it can cause some damage to the child. Therefore, these days they test every woman for it during pregnancy. Fun times, right!?

At the lab, after you chug the drink, they make you wait 1 hour. After the hour passes, they draw your blood to test your insulin levels. If they are high, you are considered "at-risk" for gestational diabetes.

Well, I went for my monthly checkup today and found out my results were in fact, high. My first reaction was tears, although I held them back. My second was, now what!? Fortunately, the results of this test being high does not automatically mean I have gestational diabetes. It means I "could" have it. In order to weed the "could-be's" out, they next require a 3-hour glucose test. Awesome.

In this test, I will have to fast the night prior. I will then go back to the local lab where they will feed me more sugary drinks and then take my blood four times to check the sugar levels. It is this test that will either diagnose me with gestational diabetes and I will immediately go on a strict diet or I am home free to eat whatever the hell it is I want for the next 2 plus months. (Which, if I do say so myself, I feel every preggo has the right to do. I mean, what else can we do at this point?!)

In the end, all I can hope for is that I don't have it. And if I do...well, I guess there goes the sweets and any chances of eating like crap because I'm preggo. Man, that list of things I want for after this ride is  over sure is quickly getting longer and longer....

Speaking of, here's where my I WANT list is so far (for soon after delivery):
-A big, mean, bloody filet crusted with blue cheese
-BLUE CHEESE
-A dirty martini...extra dirty with blue cheese olives. Mmmm...
-Raw Kambucha (from Whole Foods...I drool)
-Unpasteurized cheeses of any kind. I can't wait to not have to check!

This list is sure to double in length if I have to go on a diabetes diet from here on out! Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis