Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Getting our Goat On

I'm a huge fan of all cooking shows. I love to cook myself, but even better I love to eat good food. So when a Top Chef winner, Stephanie Izard opened a restaurant in Chicago, I couldn't wait to try it. Hard to believe it was three years ago when a dear friend of mine, Abbey, got engaged. To celebrate, we went to Stephanie Izard's new restaurant, Girl and the Goat. Abbey is cool and has connections like that to get us in to hip places. It was to die for. I'll admit the menu was a little strange to me- many of the things I didn't know- but I was still excited. Everything and I mean everything was amazing. I swore up and down I'd go back soon to introduce A to it and have the delectable eats all over again. To boot, that year at school a parent gave me $100 worth of Girl and the Goat gift certificates as a thank you for teaching her sons. Now we HAD to go back!

Fast forward to three years later, still no re-visit to Girl and the Goat. I'd heard A complaining about never having visited over and over again but for whatever reason, it was just never a convenient time to go. Not to mention, its impossible to get in to unless you have cool connections. And I for one, do not have cool connections. So, back in December when he mentioned it yet again, I called to finally make a reservation. Sure enough, the first one available at a decent time was February. I picked yesterday as a way to "surprise" A for our anniversary. YES! I thought! I'm off the hook for having to think of something sweet and sentimental this year and he finally gets to visit this restaurant he's heard all about. Double whammy! I'm such a romantic at heart.

Unfortunately, my romantic ideas of a surprise failed when I mentioned to him not to make plans for dinner on this night and he immediately guessed where we were going. Yesterday, the day finally came and we rolled into the restaurant the way only A and I can: bickering over where to go and how to park. Ahh, love. So sweet it is.

We were seated and ordered drinks right away. Another reason why I love this place? Turns out they have a fruity drink created especially for preggos! So I too, got to order a cocktail. Heaven. A's eyes got big and I knew he was freaking out over what to order as soon as he saw the menu. I calmed him down the best way I could by saying, lose your close-minded, picky, foodie attitude and order something, its OK honey, I swear. Everything, no matter what, is amazing- even if you can't pronounce it! I may or may not have said my first thought, but I can't remember. Pregnancy brain.

To my utter shock, A ordered goat belly. Say whaaaat!?!? Goat belly? Eww. "Uh, we are at a place with goat in the name, aren't we?!?" Was A's response to my jaw being on the table over him picking goat belly. (Now who's the close minded foodie, huh?!) He also ordered the beef short ribs, since we knew we both liked that. I ordered arctic char and something called Soga. The waitress informed us Soga was a mixture of pork, beef, and goat in pasta. Hmm.

First came arctic char. Ah-mazing. That started us both off right. Then we went to the short ribs. By the end of the meal, they were determined our least favorite. Turns out, it was because it just wasn't that different. The Soga came next and was to die for. I can't even explain how good it was. Far and away my favorite. Last was the goat belly. A loved it. I thought it was good, definitely a new taste, but I got a fatty part and fat isn't my friend when its right there staring right at you. I prefer it hidden in chips, fries, and various sweets. Leading me into dessert. We never get dessert, but this was a special occasion. Oh. My. Word. What a way to end a meal.

Overall, it was absolutely fantastic. The service was great and the food was even better. And even my dear husband who can sometimes be a little new food shy stepped far out on a limb and loved every bite he tasted. We can't wait to go back. So, I leave you with a picture of A after the meal, stuffed and incredibly happy. Guess I unintentionally hit a romantic home run! Yay, me!!


1 comment:

  1. Adam's face sums up your post perfectly! Glad you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis