Thursday, February 21, 2013

Wide Load...

A and I had our monthly checkup at the doctor today. I always love these visits for the opportunity to hear little Baby B's heartbeat. I also love getting the chance to check in with our awesome doctor and ask every question under the sun. In my first trimester, I lost weight. While I'd love to say it was because of all the healthy eating and yoga I was doing, it was largely because of the absence of wine in my life. But either way, I was happy to be losing and not gaining.

Then came the second trimester. As of the last appointment, I had gained back to my original weight before pregnancy. Great! I thought. I'm going to totally be one of those skinny ladies who hardly even  look pregnant. Better yet, I clearly won't even have to watch what I eat! This is fun!

Then came the cravings. And thanks to this blog, many loving people in my life wanted to cater to my gummy craving needs and before I knew it I had a kitchen stocked full of Starbursts and Sour Patch Kids. Then came the "I'm pregnant.... if there was ever a time to eat what I want, its now!" thoughts. So eat I did. Everything in sight. Pssshhh...I'm pregnant. Pants aren't supposed to zip!

Today at the doctor, I was expecting a gain. I mean, I'm pregnant, duh. I'm supposed to gain weight. Unfortunately, I blew past my old weight and began entering into freshman year of college territory within one month. You know its not a good thing when the doctor raises her eyebrows and says, "11 pounds since last visit? Yeah, we might want to start watching that."

To which I scoffed, "Well, what am I supposed to gain??" The answer was terrifying. Half a pound per week. Meaning, I should have only gained 2 pounds in the last month. Yep, there it is.

Any of you who know me well enough or have known me for years know about my experience freshman year in college. I went in skinny as a pole and I left large and in charge, unaware of my 30 pound weight gain. I ate, drank, ate, and drank some more. Funny thing was, despite going up a few sizes, I never noticed how big I had gotten until I came home and my lovely little sister said, "Oh my god!! You got FAT!" Since I love nothing more than making fun of myself, I'm even providing proof from that year. Fortunately, I was back to my fighting weight by the start of sophomore year, thanks to not having whole pizzas delivered to me nightly.

Can you tell which one is me? Apparently the weight gain scared my eyebrows away. 

I tell that story because I'm clearly good at gaining weight and eating lots of food--and not recognizing the effects. Today's visit was a good slap in the face to make me realize I need to watch what I'm taking in, as it all has to come off again in a few months....and I'm definitely not 19 years old anymore. So while I'd love to use Baby B as an opportunity to eat everything bad in sight, its time to get myself back onto the healthy bandwagon I rode into this pregnancy on.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, this post made me laugh out loud! Awe, I think it is fair to say we All gained some lb's our freshman year of college and I don't even want to dig up those pics of myself! Way to make fun of yourself Kell, you will easily get your health groove back on :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddThis